Sep 16, 2018

SPX 2018

I was in Bethesda, Maryland yesterday for the annual Small Press Expo. The last time I was there I was selling comics with the Philadelphia Cartoonist Society. That was many years ago, so I was glad to find fellow PCS members Chris Patchell and Melissa Lomax with a table, selling their wares, representing the home team.

SPX is an ideal place to find unique comics by independent creators. One of the highlights of my day was talking to Alexandre Fontaine Rousseau at Pow Pow Press about hand lettering versus computer lettering. I find computer lettering distracting unless it's done very carefully, whereas hand lettering by the artist matches the style of the art perfectly.

Pow Pow's French Canadian artists letter their graphic novels by hand in both the French and English versions. Pow Pow pays the artists for this extra effort and it's worth it. The lettering matches the art and I'd never guess they'd been translated from another language.

Silver Sprocket was there. Youneek studios was there. I met Evan Dahm, who does beautifully intricate drawings of landscapes and boats, Sophie Goldstein, who wrote sci-fi comic The OvenCam del Rosario who uses an elegant combination of consistent lines with flat colors, and discussed treating the entire book as a work of art with Beth Hetland, who's books stood out for their uniquely cut cover designs.