Dec 18, 2023

Harlem Nights

My latest video for the Community Enrichment Fitness Network is now online. This is the 1920's-themed fundraiser held in October.

The video highlights the costumes the guests were wearing. I didn't have to talk anyone into posing for the camera. They were ready for their close-up.


I have a lot of fun chronicling these CEFN events with my friend Theresa who does the photography.

Since this is the fourth gala fundraiser we've documented for CEFN, I've taken another look at my previous three videos. In decending order, below are the third, second, and first.


The only fair way to judge your work is against itself. Whatever medium you work in, if you're getting better results today than you were a year ago, that's a good sign. I like that these have gotten brighter (that is one dimly lit ballroom) and move faster.

The first one I did starts outside, then wanders into the hotel, taking in the pre-party atmosphere. After six minutes, I can't watch any more and I'm the one who made it. The third and fourth start with the party in full swing and maintain that energy.


Each of these events was four-and-a-half hours long. I've gotten better at compressing that down to fifteen minutes. CEFN wants the vendor interviews included. To compress further might leave the vendors on their own.

I've been providing separate, shorter videos of complete acts. The Charleston is approaching eight thousand views on YouTube, so I should probably keep doing that.


This is all learning by doing. Theresa and I just shot another CEFN event last week, their first fashion show. As a videographer, it's my first fashion show too.