Sep 24, 2017

Baltimore

I'm back from the Baltimore convention. I got to meet and talk to some of my favorite creators, Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo), Mark Evanier (News from ME blog), Neal Adams (the amazing Batman illustrator), and shake hands with Skottie Young whose series, I Hate Fairyland, is absolutely hysterical.

I caught up with Philly friends, cartoonists Jamar Nicholas, Scott Derby, and Dave Perillo. I also met artists Cheri Pi, who does anime bubblegum art, and oil painter Laura Charles. The attendance was lower on Friday, which made meeting and talking with the artists much easier.

On Saturday, the number of costumed characters tripled. There was a lot of posing for photos going on, but the real Kodac moments were more casual. Anime characters waiting in line for food. Batgirl resting in the lounge after a busy day. I noticed a lot of blind people attending the convention, before I realized (duh) they were all Daredevil (in Matt Murdock mode).

The funniest thing I saw was an 8-year old Snow White hopping up and down with joy to meet Deadpool. The guy looked and acted the part well enough to have stepped right out of the movie. He was hamming it up for Snow White, who was highly entertained. Her mother was quick to photograph this unlikely duo.

It was my first time at this convention and there's a big difference from the one in Philadelphia. Baltimore benefits greatly from a lack of movie stars. At Philly Wizard World, the rowdy mob on the other side of the room is the line to see William Shatner (or whoever). It does get crowded at the Baltimore convention, but it's a more relaxed atmosphere.