Sep 28, 2019

The Game Vault


On my way to Cape Cod, I drove through Morristown so I could get a look at the Morristown Game Vault. It's a retro video arcade in what used to be a bank.


They have a great selection of classic games from the 1980's and keep them in excellent condition. Q-Bert, Popeye, Spy Hunter, Donkey Kong... I would have spent an hour playing Centipede if I wasn't trying to get to Massachusetts by sundown.

My primary objective was to see their Dragon's Lair. Don Bluth's interactive animation game has a unique place in animation history. As a game, it gets a lot of flack for being inflexible. Visually, I think it's terrific, especially in its natural habitat.

This is a good one, too. The Game Vault has it set up so the player can select from multiple versions of Dragon's Lair and its sequels, Time Warp and Space Ace. Here's one minute of video I took of the Dragon's Lair machine at the Morristown Game Vault, complete with cheesy transition wipes.