Sep 12, 2023

Route 22 fest

My mother and I had a great time at the very first Route 22 Filmworks Film Festival. It's a cozy all-day event held at The Ice House, a building designed for ice storage turned performing arts center.


We watched short films by the Route 22 group and other local filmmakers. I went in thinking our documentary, Aunt Hetty's Golden Thimble, would be an outlier in a festival of scripted movies made with actors.

To my surprise, ours was one of three docs with a real person telling a true story. And one of them, Jerry Roe's Antonio's Journey, was also about sewing!

On stage with the Route 22 founders (left), filmmakers Paul Robinson and Sashia Dumont (center), me, Laurel, and Jerry Roe (right). Photo by audience member Ann Knerr.

Aunt Hetty's Golden Thimble was well received with the audience applauding over the end credits, which was nice. I'd asked the Route 22 group beforehand if it was okay to bring the star of Aunt Hetty on stage with me to field any fashion questions.

Thank goodness I did, because with both Laurel and Jerry on stage, a discussion of fashion history in Philadelphia broke out, a subject Laurel was happy to talk about. The audience were clearly enjoying themselves, which made being on stage the highlight of the afternoon.

The Creating Fashion with Laurel team at the Route 22 Film Festival.

I've updated the Stage page of this site, renaming it the Festivals page. Now it's an album of photos from my appearances at festivals.