Jun 28, 2021

Photos from the set

My mother and I were working on the eighth episode of Creating Fashion with Laurel yesterday afternoon. I took these photos to post on Instagram, but also to have a record of how I arranged the set.

In the previous episode, she showed how to correct a home-sewing pattern for a convertible collar and cut the fabric for it. In this episode, she shows how to sew the collar together.

As usual, there's a thick piece of black foam core behind the blinds, preventing the sun and clouds from interfering with the lighting. I learned that lesson well, chronicled in this old post.

The glass frame with the flowers was something I had to work around. It was reflecting glare from the lights. I considered removing it, but it looks too good in the background.

Moving the table to the one side of the room allows more space for me to maneuver with the handheld second camera. I have to stand to Laurel's left, because that's where the fabric ends up when she removes it from the sewing machine.

That's our "key" light on the left, an LED flood light, covering part of Laurel and also the table. I have a piece of mylar attached to it with clothespins to prevent harsh shadows.

In the lower-right corner you can see part of our "fill" light, an octogonal softbox that covers much of the room. A gentler light on the ceiling (not pictured) casts light from above.