Oct 23, 2022

Thoughts on blogging

Friend and fellow artist Diane Podolsky has invited me to participate in an artist roundtable called "To Blog or Not to Blog?". The event is this afternoon, so I'm starting the day organizing my thoughts on blogging, on the blog.

I started this site in September 2015 just to have a place to put my artwork. But as a blog, it's also a chronicle of my work, where I or anyone can track what I'm doing, watching the work evolve over time.

While I've used this site to announce upcoming events, I've found that thinking of it less as a promotional tool and more as a ship captain's journal has revealed a lot of advantages to blogkeeping.

Many of my posts are intended as reference. They're full of instructions, links, accounts of events, names and places, all dated. It's always nice to hear when visitors have used the site the way I do, refering to posts I wrote years ago. Thank goodness for the search function.

Some of the things that keep me posting: I don't feel obligated to post on a regular basis; I never look at the number of views; and I keep the posts on topic so they all in some way relate to my artwork.

It's also great writing practice.

For anyone considering starting a blog, Blogger has been great. I don't pay anything for this site and the storage space is aparently limitless (fingers crossed). It helps to know HTML. My posts would be very messy if I weren't coding them.