May 15, 2022

The First Take festival

First Take Shorts Series Q&A, photo by W.J. Hoffmann

On April 14, thirteen shorts by Philadelphia-area filmmakers were shown at The Ambler Theater. Afterwards, those responsible ascended from the darkness to answer questions.

From left to right in the photo above, that's:

After those five, I'm not sure who's who. From my point of view, I could only see Will Martinko on my left and everyone else was concealed behind him.

At the far right are two of the actors from Max Kane's House of Brotherly Love. To their left is Maximillian Remmler, director of Professional Therapy and fifth from the right is Juli Wert, who showed her latest short, & They Broke Up The Next Day.

Rather than guess the remaining three, I'll just list the rest of the evening's contributors:
  • Angel James, director of Moving Pictures
  • Gerald Webb, director of $TACK$
  • Jack Skyyler/John Russel Cring/Beth Konrad Brown, directors of Resistance
  • Tatyana Yassukovich, director of Baby Grief
  • Jerry Collom, director of The River (who is in that photo somewhere)
  • Jenn Marinello, director of Altered

It was a great time and a lot of fun. You can see from the links above that the shorts ranged from thought-provoking to stunning, and a couple of them were downright hilarious.

Photo by W.J. Hoffmann

Terror Train was well-received. As the sole animator in the group, the questions I was asked got me talking about my animation process, which was very cool.

The experience inspired me to seek out more festivals. The moment I was back at my desk, I submitted Terror Train to another one. If it leads anywhere, I'll announce it here and turn up on another stage.