Aug 23, 2019

Primal and talking talk

Samurai Jack creator, Genndy Tartakovsky has a new animated show coming out called Primal. It will air this fall on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. The trailer is over here and there's a good article about it in Variety.

The new series has no dialog at all. There are so many talk-heavy movies, that it's refreshing when directors remind us that stories can be told visually.

But the real advantage of dialog-free animation is that it removes the need for translation. From the day it premieres, Primal could be seen and understood in any country.

It's why so many animated shorts are dialog-free. This big list of animation festivals shows that there's always a festival going on somewhere in the world. Animated shorts get to the Oscars by traveling these festivals, winning prizes in various countries. That's got to be easier when the short doesn't require translating.

I'm writing this as I prepare to record and re-record dialog for my animation projects. Performing the characters is a big incentive for me, so there will be dialog.

One of my works in progress, Fatal Error has been on hold since January, partly because of other projects, but also because I wasn't entirely happy with the sound quality. I think I know enough about adjusting audio now that I can fix it.

As for creating something that's dialog-free, I have some ideas for that as well.