May 12, 2022

Musical interlude

When Creating Fashion with Laurel needed an opening theme tune, my mother volunteered to provide it. She got out an old stack of sheet music and I recorded her playing classical music on her piano.

One of the pieces stood out as catchier than the others, but she'd never played it before, so she was playing it in a slow, halting way. She made three attempts at it, none of them error-free.

In Adobe Premiere, I edited together the best bits from those attempts, carefully lining them up in the timeline, and sped it all up.

The opening theme tune, pieced together in Adobe Premiere.

And it worked. It sounds like this:

Creating Fashion with Laurel Theme*


Soon after, we were watching a documentary on TV and I called her attention to the background score. 'Oh, that's just going up and down the scales', she said, and the next time we recorded, she did this (no edits in this one):

Laurel's Piano Improv*


It got me wondering if creating my own music might be easier than I thought. Having quit violin lessons, drum lessons, and piano lessons, I'd put the possibility of being a musician out of my head decades ago.

Now I'm collecting instruments that look user friendly (no lessons required), thinking all I need are musical sounds to edit together.

As I was following Laurel through fabric stores while shooting the new episode, it occurred to me that she should be accompanied by a march.

So I ordered bongo drums online.
Bongos and Zoom recorder with the sound proofing foam last seen in this old post.


And then a glockenspiel.
32 note orchestral glockenspiel by Gear4Music

I did a lot of research to find an affordable, chime-like instrument that goes 'piiiiiiing', rather than 'tink tink tink', and this one does.

Here's the result, featured in Episode 12. The repeating drum riff was simply copied and pasted several times.

The Patternmaker March*




*If an embedded mp3 player isn't working, try either refreshing this page or pressing the pop-out button at the right side of the player. The file will open and play on the Google Drive site where it's stored.